Frequently Asked 'How-To' Questions for v2 Software (not Pro)
Please note that these questions and answers refer specifically to Artsystems GalleryPro, Studio, and Collections v2 software. Documentation and FAQs for Artsystems Pro and Web Manager 2012 is available by contacting Artsystems Support.
For access to the latest comprehensive searchable Software User Guides, available in PDF, please contact Artsystems Support.
GENERAL: GALLERYPRO, STUDIO, COLLECTIONS (NOT PRO)
CONFIGURATION: GALLERYPRO, STUDIO, COLLECTIONS (NOT PRO)
ARTSYSTEMS ON A MACINTOSH: GALLERYPRO, STUDIO, COLLECTIONS (NOT PRO)
ARTISTS: GALLERYPRO, STUDIO, COLLECTIONS (NOT PRO)
CONTACTS: GALLERYPRO, STUDIO, COLLECTIONS (NOT PRO)
WORKS: GALLERYPRO, STUDIO, COLLECTIONS (NOT PRO)
IMAGES: GALLERYPRO, STUDIO, COLLECTIONS (NOT PRO)
REPORTS: GALLERYPRO, STUDIO, COLLECTIONS (NOT PRO)
TRANSACTIONS: GALLERYPRO, STUDIO, COLLECTIONS (NOT PRO)
ACCOUNTING: GALLERYPRO, STUDIO, COLLECTIONS (NOT PRO)
WEB MANAGER (v2.5): NOT WEB MANAGER 2012
Please see our Issue FAQs page for fixes for selected program-related problems.
How can I get an update for my Artsystems software?
Please visit our Updates page to see what is the latest available version of your software. You may request access to the latest software update at our Update Request Web page.
How can I backup or archive my Artsystems database?
There are a number of ways to backup your Artsystems database and related files. Artsystems has incorporated in its programs the ability to back-up automatically. Please see our Backing Up document for guidance.
How do I best configure my Artsystems Software if I am based
outside the United States?
Software has been optimized to work successfully for the needs of
our customers worldwide. Please download and print our International Settings document for instructions on configuring
your system for your Home Country (for correct address formatting),
Dimension Preferences (to default to centimeters), performing currency
conversions, and for instructions on downloading and installing
A4 paper size based reports.
How do I best configure my Artsystems Software to run on my 64-bit Windows operating system?
Please see our Important Configuration Notes for 64-bit Windows Users document for tips.
What is the release date for the native-Mac upgrade to GalleryPro?
Artsystems released its revolutionary upgrade to GalleryPro, Artsystems Pro 2011 on June 21, 2011. Artsystems Pro runs native on Macintosh and Windows, and cross platform for mixed networks. See our Artsystems Pro 2011 preview page for details and contact Artsystems Sales to order your upgrade.
How do I best configure Parallels or VMWare to run Artsystems Windows Software
on my Intel Mac?
Software can run extremely well on a Parallels or VMware Windows environment
on your Intel Macintosh. Please see the vendors' Web sites for installation instructions, and our Parallels or VMWare document for our tips.
Where on my Intel Macintosh running Parallels or VMware and Windows should I store the Artsystsems database?
After installing Artsystems in Windows on the Virtual Machine, the Data file (*.asd), may be stored in a folder anywhere on the network. During the Artsystems installation the default location for all files is C:\Program Files\Artsystems [Product Name] (the product name is GalleryPro, Collections or Studio).
If there is only one computer on the network, the default location will suffice; however, users may wish to move their database outside the Windows Environment or to another folder in Windows. If the database (.asd file) is to be saved outside the default location in Windows, create a new folder and move the database (.asd file), reports (.REP files) and the documents folder, if any, into that folder.
If the new folder is to reside outside of Windows, either on the Mac Desktop or in the Macintosh HD, after it is created move the database (.asd file), reports (.REP files) and the documents folder, if any, into that folder. The data folder must be shared to allow access from the Artsystems application. To share the folder click on the menu bar Apple>System Preferences>Internet and Network>Sharing. Check Windows Sharing and Personal File Sharing. Then share the folder in the Virtual Machine (either Parallels or VMware) housing your Windows Operating System.
Where on my Intel Macintosh running Parallels or VMware and Windows should I store the Images to be accessed by Artsystsems?
Images may be stored in a shared folder in Windows or outside of Windows. Many users create an 'Images' sub-folder in the data folder. Because Windows may have difficulty with files with an uppercase extension saved outside of Windows be sure that the .jpg extension is lower case.
If the new Images folder is to reside outside of Windows (either on the Mac Desktop or in the Macintosh HD) after creating the folder, the Images folder must be shared to allow access from the Artsystems application. To share the folder click on the menu bar Apple>System Preferences>Internet and Network>Sharing. Check Windows Sharing and Personal File Sharing. Then share the folder in the Virtual Machine (either Parallels or VMware) housing your Windows Operating System.
May I let my Mac go into 'Sleep Mode' on when Artsystems is open?
No. Don't let your Mac go to sleep while Artsystems software is running. In the Systems Preferences > Energy Saver settings for the Power Adapter and the Battery, select 'Never' on the 'Put the computer to sleep when it is inactive for' bar. This is especially important on a Mac network. On a network the computer where the data is housed should have 'Sleep Mode' turned off.
Should I exclude the Windows application in a Macintosh Time Machine backup?
Yes. On the initial setup of the Virtual Machine (Parallels or VMware), you are asked if you wish to exclude the Virtual Machine (Parallels or VMware) from Time Machine. Say yes. If the Virtual Machine has not already been excluded from the Time Machine backup in Parallels go to the Parallels configuration menu, “Options” section, check the “Do not back up virtual Machine” to exclude from the Macintosh Time Machine backup. In VMware Fusion Open the Mac's System Preferences and click Time Machine. Click Options. Click the add (+) button at the bottom of the Do not back up list. Browse to your Documents folder on the Mac, select the Virtual Machines folder, and click Exclude.
If you wish to back up Artsystems application Data, Images, Reports, and Documents via Time Machine, Create an 'Artsystems' folder in your Macintosh Documents folder. Move the main Artsystems data file (default to move is 'data.asd''), utilized image files (*.jpg), all report files (*.rep), and the Artsystems 'Documents' folder, all found after installing Artsystems in Windows in C:\Program Files\Artsystems GalleryPro (or Collections or Studio).
I'm not using Time Machine. How do I back up Artsystems data from a Mac?
If you are not utilizing the Mac Time Machine, you may back up the Artsystems information by following our Backing Up instructions.
Special considerations for files stored outside of Windows on an Intel Mac are as follows: when Artsystems tries to access files, it cannot see files stored outside of Windows if they have an upper-case extension. Consequently, all utilized images stored outside of Windows must have lower-case (.jpg) extensions. Similarly, any report files should also have a lower-case (.rep) extension. Please change the extension of any files that have an upper-case (.REP) extension.
When using Parallels or VMware on a Mac, should networking be 'shared' or 'bridged'?
If the Mac is in a networked environment, the Network Adapter should be set to Bridged Ethernet. In Parallels go to the Configure, Hardware, Network 1 setting and select “Default Adapter”. In VMware click “Virtual Machine”, Network Adaptor and select Bridged (Autodetect). Restart your Virtual Machine.
How much memory should be devoted to a Virtual OS?
Use the Parallels or VMware program recommended settings.
What do I need to use the email link?
To use the Contacts email link in Artsystems software, Microsoft Outlook (NOT Outlook Express) must be installed in Windows.
How do I shut down Artsystems and Windows?
To shut down Artsystems, click File > Exit. Then, Close Windows by clicking Start > Shut down.
do I best configure Virtual PC 7.0 to run Artsystems Windows Software
on my PowerPC (non-Intel) Mac?
Software can run pretty well in a Virtual PC 7.0 Windows environment
on your G4 or G5 Macintosh, provided your Mac meets the recommended
system requirements, and provided you follow our configuration instructions.
Please download and print our Virtual PC Quick Confguration document for instructions on configuring Virtual PC to optimize the performance of Artsytems software on your Mac. For a more detailed explanation
and recommendations for Virtual PC, see the Using VPC document. Those with Virtual PC
with Windows XP may also improve speed performance by following
the instructions in the Optimizing VPC on Windows XP document.
Also visit our System Requirements
page for recommended Mac specifications and other details on Virtual
PC and Artsystems software.
do I use and edit drop-down lists in Artsystems software?
For an efficient and easy way to enter frequently used information, such as categories,
types, media, artists, etc., Artsystems uses drop-down lists. Keeping these lists free of
extraneous data avoids typographical errors and inconsistencies, and enhances efficient
and accurate data entry.
See the Edit Related Files document for instructions on how to best use and maintain these lists.
How can I associate external files to Work records?
Attach copies of PDF documents relating to individual Work records, or add a link to any related file. See our Attaching PDFs or Linking Files instructions for how.
do I create, export, and import Artsystems DataKits?
Via Work or Transaction DataKits, work information, including images
and Infosheets, can be transferred between Artsystems GalleryPro,
Studio, and Collections databases. And with over 1900 of the world's
leading dealers, collectors, and artists using Artsystems software,
this can be a great way of saving time and capturing accurate information.
see the DataKit instructions.
do I utilize Barcoding with GalleryPro or Studio?
Bar code input from a connected bar code scanner quickly adds works
to Transactions (Invoice, Offer, Consignment, Shipment, etc.). Read details in Chapter 12 of
the v2.6 or later User Guide. If you do not have this User Guide
version, you can download and print this chapter from here, order the complete new User Guide from +1 212 620 5500 x0, or contact Support for a PDF version. Artsystems Barcode Label Reports and barcode fonts are also
available upon request from Artsystems Artsystems Support
How do I install Artsystems Custom Reports?
Custom Reports should first be saved in a Custom Reports folder then copied to the application path folder where the database resides. For more information, please see Importing and Installing Artsystems Custom Reports.
How can I change the order in which records are sorted?
Artsystems software users can control the sort order in every module. The sort order field is located on the upper right corner of Artsystems software (on the same line as the menu). Select the desired order from the drop-down list. For example, in Works you can sort by Artist, Inventory Number, Media, Record Number (the chronological order in which records were added to the database), Title or Year, or by Custom Sort (in Spreadsheet view, manually add numbers into the custom sort column for the desired order, then select Custom Sort). To create a 'Custom Sort' -- sorting records in a manually dictated order so as to print an Exhibition price list in the order the exhibition was installed, for example, follow the directions below (see also an illustrated Custom Sort How-To PDF document and an example of a resulting Price List with Images:
Note the example above includes a zero '01', '02', '03', this is required if there are more than 10 items in the list, the 0 before the single digit numbers will ensure the computer properly sorts the number fields.
- Mark or create a View Set or open a Worksheet for the works to include in a specific report.
- Go to Spreadsheet View and find the Custom Sort column (the second to last column). Drag this column to the left of the Spreadsheet list so it can be seen with the Inventory Number, Artist, and Title fields. (Spreadsheet Layouts can be saved for future Custom Sort reports.)
- Type directly into the Custom Sort field. Type a value into this field in the order which it should appear in the Custom Sort such as '01', '02', '03', or, 'a', 'b', 'c', etc.
- When finished, select the Custom Sort option on the Record Order drop-down list.
- The work items will appear in the order dictated.
Can I change the order and width of the columns in Spreadsheet (list) view, and maybe also save the new layout for future use and to create custom reports?
Yes. In Spreadsheet View, columns may be easily resized and moved to allow you to see information quickly. To resize columns:
To move columns around:
- Within the column header row at the top), pass the cursor over the border separating the data column to be resized from the column to its right. The cursor will change to a double-headed horizontal arrow.
- Click and hold the left mouse button.
- Drag the column border until it reaches the desired width, and release the mouse button. In this way, columns may be shrunk or expanded as desired. NOTE: Be careful not to shrink columns so that they completely disappear. Simply move a column off screen if desired.
It is possible to save a spreadsheet layout to easily access the desired layout from the drop-down next to the spreadsheet button. To save spreadsheet layout:
- Position the cursor in the column header (the City column in the Contacts Module, for example).
- Click the left mouse button. The cursor will change into a downward arrow and the column will be highlighted.
- Click the left mouse button again and hold it down. The pointer will become a regular white cursor again, but with a small square attached on the lower left. This indicates the column is ready to be moved.
- Drag the column to the new location and release the mouse button.
- After arranging the columns as desired, select View > Save Layout from the menu.
- A dialogue box asking to name this layout will appear. Type a name in the box at the bow wisho select a previously saved layout, simply click on the drop-down arrow to the right of the Spreadsheet button and select a layout from the list. See more instructions in our Creating Spreadsheet Reports document.
Is it possible to set-up User logins to protect my database?
Yes. It is possible to set-up user logins and administer exactly who can open the database and also to manage what users can or cannot see, edit or delete, in order to protect sensitive information in the database. Download the Security document for additional information on how to set up security.
Where should I save Artist biographies in Artsystems software?
Artist biographies are easily accessed when saved in the Document View of an artist's Contact record. Click the Document View of the artist's Contact record to generate the Artist Biography blank document. Cut and paste the biographical information into this document, click back to Form view and, when prompted, save the document. For additional information on saving artist biographies see our Saving Artist Bios document.
How can I customize a report or create one from scratch?
Artsystems software comes packed with a variety of Standard Reports that are designed for most all art and antiques management needs. Some Standard Reports have images, some do not. However, Artsystems software also has a built-in spreadsheet report writer that allows you to easily select fields, configure, and create a custom report -- with images, saving the layout and the field choices for future use. See our Spreadsheet Report document for step-by-step instructions on how to create and save your own custom reports using this tool.
If you wish to have any Artsystems Standard Report or Transaction Document customized to your needs or to have entirely unique report created with desired specifications including adding images and logos, please see our Custom Reports page and contact Artsystems Technical Support.
How do I add special characters to my Artsystems database?
Artsystems software includes a character map for the addition of special non-English language and currency characters while entering data (for example: ©,€,£). Download the Character Map document for additional information.
Do I need to add Types and Categories to both Works and Contacts?
It is best to add both Types and Categories in Works and Contacts to classify the information and to allow the creation of datasets that only include records with the desired information. In Works, the Type field should represent an overall description of the work such as 'Painting', 'Sculpture', or 'Print', but the selections in the list are dependent upon what is in the inventory. In Contacts, example of some types are 'Client', 'Gallery', 'Museum', etc. Note that only one Type may be added per primary record. Categories are more descriptive attributes of the record, and multiple Categories may be added to a single record. In Works, some category examples could be 'Landscape', 'Portrait', 'Abstract', etc. In Contacts, categories may be used to filter Contacts for 'MailingList', 'VIPList', or perhaps interest in certain Artists. For additional information on creating datasets based upon Types or Categories please see your User Guide chapter on 'Viewing Records'.
When an Artsystems Web site is updated through the Artsystems Web Manager program, the entire list of Types, Categories and Media of the entire Works section of the database is sent to refresh this content on the Web site. If there are duplicated, misspelled and/or misapplied entries for Types, Categories and Media, searching the Web site and the Artsystems database becomes ineffective. The user must make sure data has been entered accurately in the gallery’s Artsystems database to ensure that correct information appears on the Web site. See the Edit Related Files document for instructions on how to best use and maintain these lists.
How do I add a new Artist to the database?
It is easiest to add a new artist while entering data in Works. When adding a new inventory record, Artsystems 'New Work' wizard appears to assist with data entry, on the Choose Artist/Maker screen click 'New' to add the artist to the Artist List.
- Enter First and Last Name and also Artist Dates if desired. Click Add to Contacts to add this artist to the Contacts Selection List (e.g. for living artists or artists whose biography you want to retain in Contacts). A Category entered in this screen will apply to the Artist only and NOT to the new work. Artist Categories are classifications of the artist's work. When saving an Invoice, a prompt will appear asking to add the Artist Categories for the sold items to the purchaser's Categories if desired. Thus, the Categories for a Contact will categorizes their interests directly by the items they purchase.
- If Add to Contacts was selected, click Next and continue entering the address as directed by the Add New Contacts Wizard. When finished, the Add Work Wizard will appear again, highlight the correct Artist/Maker and click Next to continue.
The artist's name was spelled incorrectly, how can I correct the artist's name?
The Artist List is saved in the Works Module. If the spelling or dates on the artist display are incorrect, edit the Artist List:
- Select from the menu, File> Edit Related Files>Artist.
- Scroll to the artist name, make the necessary changes
- Select Close, and answer 'Yes' to the question 'Do you want to Update Records with the Changes from Artists?'
How do I delete duplicate artist names from the Artist List?
The Artist List is saved in the Works Module. Before deleting an artist from the Artist List it is necessary to determine that the artist name is not linked to any work record. See our instructions on finding links and deleting the artist.
How can I get a dataset of all available inventory or create any dataset for that matter?
You can utilize Artsystems 'View Sets' to create a dataset with records that meet a certain criteria.
Note: On the bottom of the Artsystems software screen, just right of the module buttons, a display will show record number and total number of records. Additional information on creating advanced datasets can be found in the User Guide Appendix II, View Set examples.
- In Works, select the Set button from the toolbar or from the menu select View>Set
- In the Works View window select the appropriate criteria for the dataset such as 'Available'.
- Select OK and the dataset will appear with only 'Available' records in the database.
- When the task is complete, to clear the dataset to then view all records, select the Refresh button on the toolbar or select from the menu View>Set>Clear.
Is there a system in the program that will automatically attach inventory numbers to works -- with specific codes I can set up in advance -- as they are added to the database?
The Administrative Option area of Artsystems software allows users to set-up an automatic inventory numbering system (a.k.a. System Assigned Inventory Numbering). The automatic inventory numbering system adds the inventory number every time a new record is added based on how you want the number to look. Typical numbering systems include part of the artist name or code plus a unique number but there are many naming conventions for inventory. For additional information on how to set-up automatic inventory numbering systems please see the User Guide section on Administrative Options: Inventory Number Tab. Please also note the following:
- If the automatic inventory numbering system is set and the number does not appear, please go into Tools>Administrative Option and make sure all the options have been correctly set.
- When the automatic inventory numbering system is set, the ability to edit inventory numbers is not possible. If you need to make a change to an inventory number, go to Tools>Administrative Options to temporarily turn off the Automatic numbering. ONLY uncheck the System Assigned Inventory Number (do not change Sections or Base Number on). To turn the automatic numbering back on go to Tools>Administrative Options and check System Assigned Inventory Number. Then close the program to reset the option and when Artsystems software is opened the numbering system will be on.
How do I save a list of works for an exhibition?
A Worksheet is a saved list of records that can be generated when needed. Worksheets can be created from any dataset or group of marked records.
- In Works, open data in Spreadsheet View
- Click the first column to mark the works for the exhibition
- Click 'Marked' on the toolbar to generate a dataset of works for the exhibition.
- Save the list by selecting the Worksheet button on the toolbar or from the menu select View>Worksheet
- On the Worksheet screen type in a name and click 'Save'
- Your Worksheet has been saved and, the name of the Worksheet appears for future access in the dropdown list next to the Worksheet button on the toolbar.
- To clear a generated Worksheet, select the Refresh button on the toolbar.
How do I delete Saved Worksheets or View Sets?
The following process is the same for deleting both Worksheets and View Sets, and the example below describes how to delete a Worksheet. To delete a View Set, please follow the same instructions and substitute 'View' for 'Worksheet'
- Select View > Load from the menu. Ensure that the Type listed on the bottom of the window reads Worksheets. If it does not, click the tiny drop-down arrow and select Worksheets.
- A list of saved Worksheets will be displayed, click once on the Worksheet selection to highlight and press the Delete button on your keyboard. (Be sure to highlight the entire file including the symbol at the left and not just the file name.)
- Answer Yes to the prompt 'Would you like to Delete this Worksheet?' Select Cancel to close the window.
How do I edit a saved Worksheet?
- Generate the saved Worksheet by selecting the name of the Worksheet from the dropdown list next to the Worksheet button on the toolbar, or Select View > Load from the menu and click on the saved Worksheet
- In Spreadsheet view, select from the menu View > Mark All.
- The button next to the Set button on the toolbar will appear Green, which indicates that a data set is generated. Click the Green button to temporarily take the set off.
- In spreadsheet view edit the selected works, uncheck the works no longer desired for the worksheet and check the works desired for the worksheet.
- Then click Marked on the toolbar to generate the new list.
- Select Worksheet on the toolbar, click on the saved Worksheet name to overwrite the Worksheet with the new changes.
- Answer Yes to 'A Worksheet named test already exists. Do you want to overwrite the changes?'
I have Images attached in my database but I can't see them in the Form View on my workstation?
Artsystems software provides the ability for users to turn the Image Display 'on' or 'off' for both Primary and Secondary Images. If Image paths are present but the images do not appear, make sure that both 'Image Display' and 'Show All' are turned on. From the menu select Image and confirm that 'Image Display' and 'Show All' are checked. If 'Image Display' and 'Show All' are un-checked the option is 'off'. To turn the option on, from the menu select Image>Display to turn Image Display on, and then again from the menu select Image>Show All to turn on the Show All option.
Note: For multi-license users, in order for all workstations to view images, each workstation needs a common mapped letter drive to the image folder.
I see an 'X' instead of the Primary Image, what happened?
When an image is attached in Artsystems software, the image is not embedded into the software; instead the link to where the image is saved. To see the Image Path, select from the menu Image>View Image Information or in Spreadsheet view find the Image column to see the Image path. If an 'X' appears where the image it means the image was attached but was moved from the original folder, or the original folder was moved or renamed.
How can I edit a saved Transaction?
Transactions are created in the Transaction module with the help of the Transaction wizard. Before marking the Transaction as Shipped t changes are possible, but once the transaction is marked Shipped, it is locked.
- To delete a work on a Transaction, on the Works tab, click to highlight the work record, when it is highlighted hit the delete button on the keyboard, the Work item will appear in Red Font. When the record is saved, a prompt will appear 'Do you want to purge the deleted item?', answer Yes to remove the work, or answer No and the work will not appear on the Invoice document but will remain in Red Font on the form (to keep a record of what was changed)
- To add Inventory items to the Invoice, on the Works tab of the Invoice, select the next available line under Inventory, Artist or Title and click on the Question Mark button. If you clicked on the Inventory # column, the search for the new record will be by Inventory Number, if you clicked on the Artist column, the search for the new record will be by Artist, and if you clicked on Title the new search would be by title. Once the new record has been located, click the box(es) at the left to check the work(s) and when finished click OK
Also Note: To protect the integrity of your database, editing saved transactions is only possible if the transaction was not 'Shipped'.
I made changes to an Invoice: why did the invoice document not update?
The document view of an Invoice, or any transaction for that matter, saves automatically when the user goes to Form View. If edits were made after the document was generated, the user needs to refresh the document. To refresh the document, go to Document View and select from the menu Edit > Recreate Document.
How do I correct/change an incorrect location on a work record?
Data entry mistakes concerning the location of a work may be corrected in Works by selecting from the menu Edit > Change Location. However, when inventory is actually moved from one location to another, it is best to create a Shipment transaction. The Shipment transaction records when the item changes locations. Clicking Shipped on the Shipment transaction (or clicking Shipped on any transaction) will change the location on all works in the transaction record.
A work out on Consignment was sold and I made an Invoice, but the work is still has the status color of yellow. What's up?
To see what is amiss, open the work in Form Vew and go to the Activity Tab to see all transactions associated with the work. There are several instances when the color does not change from Yellow to Red. To ascertain and correct the cause, try the following:
Note: clicking the 'Shipped' option on a Consignment, Exhibition, Offer (approval), or Loan Transactions will:
Click on the Invoice link to go to that transaction and see if the blue statement "this Transaction originated from Consignment #...." appears. If this statement does not appear, and the invoice shows:
- That the Work was sold to the Consignee, then the Invoice was erroneously created. Print the Invoice Document then delete the Invoice Record. Go to the Consignment Record, click 'Record>Convert, and choose 'Invoice'. Enter the information that is shown on the Invoice printout into the new Invoice Record.
- If the work was not sold to the Consignee but to someone else, go to the Consignment Record, click Record>Convert to convert it to a Return and click 'Shipped'.
- If the Work still shows as Yellow after refreshing, go back to the Work Activity Tab and check to see if there is an outstanding Exhibition, Offer, or Loan which was not returned. If there is, go to that Transaction and click 'Record>Convert and choose 'Return'.
- If none of these solutions work, call Artsystems Technical Support.
- Correctly update the location on all works in the Transaction
- Change the status color from Green to Yellow.
How do I add additional charges on an Invoice?
Additional charges such as 'Shipping', 'Framing', 'Restoration', etc., are added on the Miscellaneous screen of the Invoice.
The total amount from the non-inventory items will be added to the Invoice and calculated in the total amount. Note, on the Standard Invoice document, the Miscellaneous Type and Amount will appear on the Invoice Document, but the Description field will not appear. The Invoice can be customized by Artsystems Support if the Description is desired. See details here.
- Click on the Miscellaneous tab on the Form View of the Invoice transaction.
- Add the Type of charge in the Type field. Note, 'Type' is saved in a dropdown list which works as all other dropdown lists work in Artsystems software.
- Add information to the Description column if desired.
- Click once in Amount to highlight the field, click again to type in the chargeable amount. Click again in any field to add the amount to the Invoice.
- If the miscellaneous charge is Taxable, be sure to click in the Tax column and tax will be added to the desisgnated Miscellaneous charge.
Can I run financial reports in Artsystems software?
Financial reports may be generated with any Module open. Select from the menu Reports>Financial to access the following financial reports: Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable, Sales, Customer Statements, Consignor Statements, Sales Tax, Receipts Journal, and Payment Detail. When a financial report is selected the Report Options window opens and the user can select Period Date, include Shipped Transactions only, select only the transactions Prepared by or Authorized by certain persons, or click on the Contact tab to select a specific Contact or group of Contacts for the report. If no options were selected, the report will generate all information entered.
How can I automatically format foreign postal addresses?
Beginning with v2.7.6, you can set Artsystems software to automatically format foreign postal addresses to their differering specifications. Enhanced instructions for this feature are included in post-v2.7.6 User Guides, and also available here: Postal
Formats (PDF). Check out and bookmark these resources to
see which format is correct for each country: HTML
(PDF) list. Please contact Artsystems Support for the access to the latest electronic user guide for your software, which will include these instructions.
How do I delete contacts from my Artsystems database?
See Deleting Contacts.
do I email to a contact or a list of contacts from Artsystems software
using Microsoft Outlook?
Visit our Outlook email document for complete instructions.
do I do a 'mail merge' with MS Word?
Visit our Word mail-merge document for complete instructions.
How do I export Artsystems Contacts for import into other contacts programs?
Artsystems software has the ability to create 'delimited' text files that can be exported from
Artsystems and imported into various contact related software and hardware applications
such as MS Word, MS Outlook, and PDAs such as Palm hand-held contact organizers. See the Export Contacts document for instructions.
How do I import Artsystems Contacts into MS Outlook?
Please view our Import to Outlook instruction document.
do I import Artsystems Contacts into a PDA?
Please view either our Import to PDA (XP), Import to PDA (Vista), or Import to PDA (Windows 7) instruction document.
do I prepare image files for use with Artsystems software?
Create JPEG files by saving from an original source file, which
should be in TIFF, RAW or PSD format. See our Images document for more
information for GalleryPro, Studio, or Collections software (not Pro). Please also
see the imaging section in the User Guide.
moved my image files all at once and I don't want to have to reattach
them to Works records one at a time. Can I update the image paths
When attaching images to Work records, the full network directory
'pathname' for each image file is stored with each Work record,
so that the program knows where to find the image to display it
with the record. Beginning with v2.7 of all Artsystems Software
programs, a new Works Image Filename Changer utility provides for
quickly changing the image file path name on selected work records
when images are stored in another directory. Please see the instructions
for this utility.
do I attach one image to multiple Works?
With the Works Image Filename Changer utility (v2.7+), users can
assign the same image file pathname to selected works, thereby attaching
the same image to each work record. Please see the instructions
How does GalleryPro integrate with US/UK/Canadian/NZ QuickBooks
Please see our QuickBooks Pro document for details.
Please note that GalleryPro also now integrates with US QuickBooks Pro/Premier 2009/2010/2011 with the purchase of an additional Artsystems utility for $179.
(top) NOTE: QB Pro and Premier 2011 do not allow importing 'special characters'.
How do I apply a Credit as payment on another Invoice?
Please see our Credit as Payment document to see how best to do this.
do I run a year-end inventory report (or another period)?
Please see our Available Inventory Report document to see how best to do this.
How can I change Retail, Insurance or Appraisal Values?
All values are added to the screen designated by the Values tab of the Work record. Values listed in the grey part of the tab are the current values and the white area below is the Value History. The Value History allows the user to see all values entered and when a value changed.
- In the white portion of this screen click on the next available line on the Type column in the grid. Use the drop-down arrow to select the Value Type.
- When moving to the next column, notice the date then automatically appears in the Date column. Adjust the date, if necessary, by clicking in the Date column and typing over the displayed date.
- Enter the Amount. (Note: There is no need to enter commas or currency symbols [the currency will derive from the currency entered in the Cost currency on the Financials Tab].)
- Optional: Enter any pertinent Comments about the amount such as the name of the appraiser or insurance company. Click the Save button on the toolbar to update the current value in the upper part of the screen (grey area).
How do I prepare images for use with Web Manager v2.5 and my Web site?
Please see the Image Specifications document for complete and concise Web Manager image specifications.
How do I create a DataKit to send works to my v2.5 Web site?
Please see the Create Works DataKit document for instructions.
How do I post updates to the main information pages of my Web Manager v2.5 Web site?
To update any information on the Web site using Web Manager v2.5, a datakit created in GalleryPro or Studio must be imported into the Web Manager. Then the Web forms in Web Manager must be filled out with the appropriate information and sent to the Web site. For complete instructions, please see the Updating Web Information document.
How do I create an exhibition in GalleryPro or Studio and post it to my Web site?
First, if a Transaction record is not already created for the exhibition, select a group of works in GalleryPro or Studio. With those works, create an Exhibition Transaction. Then, from that Exhibition Transaction record, create a datakit for use with Web Manager to update your site. This DataKit will include all related images and attached documents from the works in the Exhibition from your database. Please see The Create Web Exhibitions document for complete instructions.
How do I attach a press release or other exhibition information to a Gallery Pro or Studio Exhibition for posting to my v2.5 Web site?
Exhibition press releases or other exhibition information can be attached by saving in the document view of the Exhibition Transaction in GalleryPro or Studio, and then sending to the Web site via a DataKit and Web Manager v2.5. Please see the Posting Exhibition Information document for instructions.
How do I attach an artist's biography to the artist's contact record and post it on my Web site?
An artist's biography can be attached to the artist's Contact
record by saving it to the document view. It will then be included
in any DataKits including the artist's work. Please see the
Posting Artist Information document for instructions.
How do I safely back up my Web site data?
Please see the
Backing up Web Data document for instructions.